It was the time when Corps reinforced greatly their research departments, creating new deadly ice at hurting more than stopping hackers, and using more and more traps to discourage the enemy. Hunting Runners remained an important asset, with new detection and tracing programs.
From the outlaw side, Runner gangs grouped themselves together, discovering that their interests could be better served by putting in common their resources, which allowed them to act more swiftly and at the same time to penetrate the system without being located.
Protecting against the unwanted, hideng deeper into the realm of cyberspace, surfing almost invisible, were the new style for roaming in the matrix to get the most of these Deep Runs.
Whats new (new or extended concepts):
- Defense-reinforcement (trace, icebreaker penalty, fort reinforcements)
- Punishment reinforcement (ambush, tab&bag)
- Card reacting on icebreaker keywords (noisy)
- Specific ice (Walls reacting on worm, sentry which copies subroutines of other ice)
- New Bomb ice type: sentry that do not end the run, but "explodes" after being passed
- Anti-ice cards
- Stealth reinforcement (icebreaker using only stealth bits, stealth boosters and helping cards)
- Deck manipulation variations (instant draws, installation helps,...)